Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Little Journeys VI



as promised my brother john wrote about his (often) weekly date with spouse pam to the Fredrick Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, in grand rapids where we all grew up and where, of the six of us, he still lives. this week includes photos of john's gorgeous children- my nephew and niece alex and pauline, also of grand rapids.

After a few no shows of the past few weeks Pam and I were able to make our journey around the gardens tonight. Like most people we haven't seen it quite some time - it was a beautiful evening and people seemed to enjoy the night and the Chihullys. Not much in the exhibits has changed but we met a young volunteer who was taking short surveys of those wandering the park. Learned after bantering with him that he is an intern from Aquinas College. After discovering you can get people to work for you for free, I decided I needed an intern for my work as well.

So now I have to find a school creative or crazy enough to let me have one. I think i could put them to great use doing research on how many gas station/convenience store were sold in Michigan in the last 5 years, how much they sold for and who the buyer was. Important stuff like that. Or I could find out how many electric motors are in use that run the ventilation and cooling systems for all the nuclear power plants in the US. Then I could sit back or play golf while billing my clients megabucks for all this high value information. Probably not but Chihully gets my creative juices flowing.
Anyway, we had a nice visit and told the volunteer we tried to be there every week and other assorted trivia.
Can't wait to arrive on Sunday and looking forward to having most all the Harrington siblings together. Pretty awesome! Love, John

p.s. -john, you got derailed my man from covering the gardens to how to swindle interns. so i'm posting a couple of Chihullys even though you don't prefer them. back to nature writing, please.