Monday, September 20, 2010

Cozy

So here we sit, my beloved friend Susan and I, enjoying our view of the river. Today it is quite blue since the sky is a clear, pale blue with nary a cloud in sight. Much of the spartina has shifted in color from a mainly green palette, to a largely tan one. There is a little island covered with one type of spartina that looks like yellow and green goldenrod.

There is goldenrod outside our house but not in the marsh itself. I have had the lifelong dispute with goldenrod. I guess I think it's pretty but what it does to my runny nose and my itchy eyes dims its beauty considerably. When I was a kid, I needed allergy shots every week in the summer, which I despised. I don't even think they helped very much either. I was also diagnosed with allergies to dust mites, mold, and mildew. Tell me where could a person possibly live and avoid these intrepid pests? Knowing I was allergic was supposed to help me feel better about all of the sneezing, in that there was a medical basis for it. I wish instead of the medical model, my parents had been to receptive to homeopathy, which I would guess has a better track record. In any case, when I got to college, it was too inconvenient to go to the infirmary for allergy shots so I declared myself cured and really, truly, since that day, my allergies have, by and large, disappeared.

Back to "cozy": I am snuggled up in bed with one of those microwave bean bags of rice, which right now is toasting my shoulder. It comes in handy on a daily basis for some aching joint or muscle. I am also wearing my fuzzy bed socks, which are the very definition of comfort. And Susan is splayed out on Marty's bed so that she can type this post, and so we can talk and giggle and cry and talk some more. I ask you, "What more could a person want" When it comes to dear friends, my cup runneth over.