Sunday, September 12, 2010

Water View From My Sister's Window

My lovely sister Terry lives in Traverse City, Michigan, on Long Lake. She was here for the summer and together we were mesmerized by the marsh outside the windows. The view out her windows on Long Lake is equally beautiful, though a very different habitat. Here is what she has to say as she observes summer morphing into autumn.

Dearest Mary,

I miss you terribly. Time needs to stand still in Maine while I deal with my Michigan chores. I can't wait to witness the fall changes with you. At one time, I saw the onset of fall as depressing until we lived on the water with windows. When I took the time to observe what was actually going on, it was heartening. I pride myself in determining which creatures, primarily fowl, are preparing to stay for the long winter and which are getting ready to leave. Those staying are frantically collecting supplies while those leaving are socializing as they organize groups for the departure. In my mind I hear their conversations and see this flurry of activity instead of decline. At the same time, the trees are ablaze with color, a signal of energy. Everyone seems to complete their tasks at about the same time.

When the migrators leave, those staying behind seem to enjoy a period of rest as leaves begin to fall. Peace returns to the water. Preparations are complete and there are easy days before the water freezes. I guess this is your first full time fall on the marsh, so I hope you can note these little changes not obvious to weekenders. It is fascinating and peaceful. The next phase, winter, is calm and quiet. Unlike fall, winter life is slow and pretty much the same everyday. No one is in a hurry or seems to have an agenda. It is a period of rest from the hectic fall in order to prepare for the stimulating spring to come. Enough ramblings about what you shall see for yourself. Since we are apart, we can share life out our windows!

Love, Terry